OPD Mission and Mandates
The “CNMI Planning and Development Act of 2017”, Public Law 20-20, established the Office of Planning and Development (OPD). As directed by P.L. 20-20, it is OPD’s mission:
To increase the effectiveness of government and private actions, to improve coordination among different agencies and levels, of government, and to provide for wise use of resources and future development of the CNMI.
As further mandated by the Governor and the Legislature, OPD aims to:
- Improve planning in the CNMI to increase the effectiveness of government and private actions as well as coordination among different agencies and levels of government to guide growth of the CNMI;
- Establish a CNMI Comprehensive Sustainable Development Plan that shall serve as a guide for future long-range development using and improving on existing plans, maps, and other resources;
- Serve as a clearinghouse for all information related to development, planning, and resource use in CNMI; to identify objectives, policies, and priorities for the CNMI;
- Provide a basis for determining priorities and allocating resources; and
- Establish a system for plan formulation and program coordination to provide for an integration of all major CNMI and individual island activities.