Baseline Assessment Sections for Public Comment
OPD has been mandated to support the preparation of a “CNMI comprehensive sustainable development plan (the Plan), which shall provide short and long-range guidance for the economic, infrastructure, and physical development of the CNMI, and which shall contain a statement of development objectives, standards, and principles with respect to the most desirable use of land within the CNMI for residential, recreational, agricultural, commercial, industrial, and other uses completely serviced by an access and circulation network and infrastructure consistent with proper protection to enhance the quality of the environment and preserve the CNMI’s natural beauty and historical heritage” P.L. 20-20 § 20173(a).
Contents of this plan will include:
- Land Use and Regulations
- Public Lands & Facilities, Infrastructure, & Buildings
- Housing, Redevelopment, & Community Design
- Conservation, Natural Resource Use, & Recreation
- Safety from Natural and Man-made Hazards
- Tourism, Job Training, and Labor Work Force
- Development Policy
- Capital Improvements
- Policies for Socio-economic and human resource development, natural resource development, environmental protection, historical and cultural preservation, public safety, housing, community development, education, land use and population growth, visitor industry, and other areas deemed appropriate by the Planning and Development Advisory Council (PDAC).
To support this effort, OPD has been collecting and analyzing data to address the current state of the resources of the CNMI in order to identify needs, gaps, and recommended next steps. These resource categories have been broadly categorized into three categories which correspond with “Taskforce” groups comprised of PDAC representatives and other agency and non-governmental partners. These resource sections are provided below for our first round of public review and comment. Reviewers are asked to provide relevant feedback regarding (i) the accuracy of the information provided, (ii) whether there are any gaps or needs that should be addressed based on the information provided, and (iii) key priorities or “visions” for the sustainable long-term use of this resource that should be considered when developing a long-term comprehensive sustainable development plan.
The Resources Report is uploaded as a PDF file and you can provide your comments using this survey link here. Reviewers are encouraged to read this “FAQ Document” for additional context regarding these documents, reviewer questions, and next steps. Comments and proposed revisions can be submitted to Planning@opd.gov.mp through October 30 for inclusion of proposed updates in the next version of this draft document.
Draft Resource Sections
- Water and Wastewater
- Solid Waste
- Ports / Airports
- Land (i) Land Management, (ii) Forests
- Water (i) Inland Waters, (ii) Wetlands, (iii) Coastal Waters, (iv) Marine Waters, (v) Coastal Resources
- Climate (i) Climate Context, (ii) GHG, (iii) SDG
- Biodiversity – Invasive Species and Threats
- Disaster Risk Reduction
- Public Health
- Cultural Resources
- Economic Trends
- Socio-Economic Projections
- Social Services
The Working Draft Document is available here.